Sunday, August 11, 2013

Smokey Kale Chips

I know.  I knowwwww.  S'mores cupcakes are much more tempting than kale.  I must be losing my mind.  But stay with me for a second.
Some of you might not even know what kale is.  According to the blogosphere lately, kale is superfood and everybody is eating it and it's trendy and awesome and blahblah.  Kale is really high in fiber, iron, calcium, antioxidants and it's low in calories with 0 fat. 

It is also the most polarizing vegetable on the planet.  There are people who love kale in all forms (me) and those who would rather take their last breath than even look in its direction (my husband and comedian Jim Gaffigan).  I'm not going to lie, this snack isn't for everybody... but if you are interested in getting on the kale train or you overindulged this weekend and you need to get back on track, then this recipe is a good place to start.  When these are baked in the oven they crisp up like super thin potato chips, but they satisfy a salt craving in a healthy way.  They can be seasoned in all different combinations - I've seen one that calls for Sriacha that I'm dying to try - but this is a good basic recipe.  I'm not trying to convince anybody these are better than cookies or anything, but give them a try!
Smokey Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
sea salt, to taste

Wash the kale thoroughly and let it dry completely.  When the kale is dry, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  Cut the kale into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and remove the stems and tough center ribs.  Place in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil and seasonings.  Spread the kale in a single layer on two cookie sheets.  Bake for 25 minutes or until crisp. 

1 comment:

  1. Jim Gaffigan is WRONG!! :-) Kale is yummy when prepared right, and these kale chips sound great.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...