Monday, May 27, 2013

American Buttercream Frosting (...and a Wedding!)

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!  I'm currently writing this preemptively dreading returning to work tomorrow.  The days after long weekends are just.the.worst.  At the same time, I am super content and reflective about how great a weekend it was... not to mention the freedoms we have and who made it all possible.  Thank you vets - past, present and future!
It was a very exciting weekend for me, for sure... I had my first wedding order.  A friend (hiiii, Amy) asked me a while ago if I would consider making cupcakes and a small cake for her friends wedding.  After a small panic attack from the pressure of baking for such an important occasion, I happily accepted and began the planning process.  The wedding was this Sunday and after three and a half heart attacks while transporting them to the location (I was 100% sure someone was going to rear-end me on the way there and ruin everything) I am super happy with the way everything turned out.  Big shout out to my mom and amazing husband for their support and encouragement and to Amy and Sara for giving me a shot!  You guys are pretty awesome.
I figured this would be a wonderful opportunity to share with you one of my favorite American buttercream recipes.  Considering the name of this blog, it's only fitting.  And probably should have been my first recipe?  Hmm.  Anyway, it's important to note that I use different recipes depending on the intent - whipped frostings, Italian buttercreams, Swiss Meringue Buttercreams, and French buttercreams certainly have their places and I even prefer them at times.  I could write an entire post on the different uses, benefits and flavors of each type, but I will save that for another day. 

This recipe is a great all-purpose, medium consistency, crusting buttercream that holds it's shape to pipe on cupcakes, cookies and cakes. It's the recipe my mom always used on cakes growing up and each time I make it I'm transported my six year-old self in her kitchen licking the beater.  I don't love using shortening, but I use a small amount and it does help the frosting hold it's shape a bit better than all-butter recipes.  This usually makes just enough to frost 24 cupcakes or an 8-inch layer cake, but I love frosting and having extra to add decorations and details so I generally double the recipe and freeze whatever's leftover (if anything).  Have I mentioned I like frosting?
American Buttercream Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened to room temperature (soft, but not melted)
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 pound bag of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
dash of salt

Blend the butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is blended.  Add the vanilla, milk, salt, and about half of the powdered sugar.  Mix on low speed until blended.  Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy.  If your frosting is too runny, add some more powdered sugar.  If it's too stiff, add a touch more milk or cream.

A few tips: 
  • Room temperature butter is super important.  Do not try to mix cold butter! If you are in a pinch, slice your butter into small pieces (about tablespoon size) and leave on the counter.  This increases the surface area and the butter comes to room temperature much faster.
  • Use a clear vanilla extract and a bit more shortening to butter ratio if you want a brighter, more pure white.  The butter does make it slightly off-white.  This recipe also is very easy to color with a bit of gel food coloring.
  • This frosting is super forgiving! Add more liquid if too stiff or more sugar if too runny.  It's foolproof.
  • Experiment with flavors.  This is a great base recipe and super versatile.  Add some lemon, orange or coconut extract for different flavor combinations.  Add some cocoa and make a chocolate buttercream.  Be creative!

3 comments:

  1. oohhh a quedado precioso,que buena pinta
    saludos jose y eva http://locurascrap.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you do the piping with the swirls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Nothing major... I used a small closed star tip and piped swirls starting in the center and moving outward. I hope this helps!

      Delete

Leave me a note:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...